Homemade Gluten-Free Chestnut Puree

I love when the chestnut season begins! Hands up, which one of you likes to enjoy on a ​combination of chestnut puree + whipped cream.

​If you read the composition of purees offered commercially, you will find that there is ​about 70% of chestnuts, sugar, rum, and vanilla aroma. But where is the other 30%?

Believe it or not, ​they add beans ​for a similar taste. It made me a bit angry. So I decided to make homemade chestnut puree – without the beans and crystal sugar, which are in the purchased version.

The preparation may be a bit longer​, but it is not demanding at all and the result is definitely worth it!


  • ​Chestnuts
  • Vanilla paste
  • Rum or almond liqueur
  • Cucumber syrup
  • Milk

How to Make Homemade Chestnut Puree

Wash the chestnuts and cut into the X-shape at the narrow end with a serrated knife. Place in a pot, pour in boiling water and leave to boil for about 30 minutes. When the chestnuts are cooked, pour them over a sieve, fold into a bowl and pour in milk (to soften the taste). After 15 minutes, the most difficult part comes. 🙂 Peel the chestnuts and ​push them through the sieve with your fingers. It’s a whip, so if you have a powerful blender, ​toss ​the chestnuts in and ​process.

​Then add rum or almond liqueur (I added my homemade almond liqueur made from rum, condensed milk, and almond pudding), 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla paste (if you don’t have any, you can use vanilla sugar), and sweetener. Shape bricks, wrap in food foil, and freeze. Or you can add this homemade chestnut puree to the chestnut cake. 🙂

The Celiac Diva

I am Betty Lewis, the Celiac Diva. I've been living a healthy Gluten-free life since 2000. I am happy wife and loving mother to two beautiful children, and yes we all live a gluten-free lifestyle. I love writing, fashion, cooking and eating healthy.

Recent Posts